Friday, January 16, 2009

Gran Torino review

I forgot to write a review for Gran Torino. Dammit. How could I forget that? Anyway, here's a quick something for you since it's been about a week since I saw it.

The Ford Gran Torino is a beauty of a car, a gem not seen too often amongst the new Mustangs and such of today. Clint Eastwood's movie is the same way. It uniquely blends cultural barriers, family, life and death and dealing with age themes together. It's a coming of age story in more ways than one.

I'm an Eastwood fan, although I'm used to seeing him as a younger tough guy. Nonetheless, he is superb in Gran Torino. The dialog is over-the-top hilarious, not because it's racist, but because it's a crotchety old white guy. His delivery is never off. The story is very well done. [MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS] The symbolism of the car is very good: how it's old like Walt, but in practically new condition and handing it off to Thao. It kind of combines the essence of both characters into one symbol. [END POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

I liked Bee Vang for most of the movie. There were a few spots of acting that bothered me near the end, but other than that I thought he did a nice job with his character. Ahney Her also did a nice job, but seemed a little flat sometimes. Christopher Carley as the Father was great, although his tone changed very little throughout the course of the movie which kind of bugged me. The minor characters like the barber shop guy and the construction guy were great additions. Obviously, Eastwood is the star of the film.

Gran Torino is an excellent film and is on my top 10 list for the year.

M

No comments: