Friday, January 29, 2010

Stephen's Ten Favorite Films of 2009

Yep, I have nothing better to do. Anyway, my ten favorite films of 2009, listed in alphabetical order. I missed a few good ones this year I'm sure, but I think I caught most the goods (hopefully).



(500) Days of Summer – Dir. Marc Webb
I’m a huge Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan and it’s good to see him getting some attention. It’s a very relatable and genuine story of relationships. It really had a lot of the same great things going for it that When Harry Met Sally and The Graduate had; it was fun and enjoyable, yet it could stay honest and relatable.

Brothers – Dir. Jim Sheridan
Nothing made me feel more uncomfortable this year than this (film-wise that is, had a few awkward urinal encounters). An incredible examination of the aftermath of war on a soldier and his family.

The Brothers Bloom – Dir. Rian Johnson
The more times I watch it, the more appreciation I have for it. A beautifully directed film and an incredible adventure; this film was a blast to watch in the theatre. Rian Johnson’s first film Brick showed a love for cinema (the noir, the spaghetti western) and Bloom continues to show that Johnson is a master in the director’s chair.

Extract – Dir. Mike Judge
I really love Mike Judge. I love Beavis and Butthead, I love Office Space, I love kinda-sorta like Idiocracy. His writing really shows that he understands the working class; blue collar, white collar and everywhere in between. My favorite comedy of the year.

Inglorious Basterds – Dir. Quentin Tarantino
Maybe not his favorite of mine (still probably a tie between Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs), but probably his most mature to date. Tarantino has a true love for cinema. Another classic.

Moon – Dir. Duncan Jones
I’m a huge sucker for dark sci-fi’s and mindfucks. This one is both. Haven’t enjoyed a hard science fiction movie this much since Sunshine. Sam Rockwell’s performance is Oscar-worthy. For a low budget this film looks spectacular.

Star Trek – Dir. J.J. Abrams
My favorite of the year and by far the best sci-fi film of the year. J.J. Abrams made Star Trek cool. For once. As a long time Trekker I can honestly say that as much as I love it, it’s never been crazy accessible to the public’s attention. This new installment acts as a perfect nod to the original series as well as rebooting the long dead franchise with a large majority of the help coming from classic storytelling and an incredible ensemble cast. Almost a run-on sentence. And it's rewatchable as hell to boot.

State of Play – Dir. Kevin Macdonald
Maybe not the best thriller ever, but a very well acted and executed one. Ben Affleck needs more respect. I can’t believe I just typed that with a straight face. But he does, as an actor and director (can’t wait for The Town this year). Anyway, solid political thriller.

Up – Dir. Pete Docter and Bob Peterson
How can you not absolutely love this movie? I heart Pixar. Made me cry. Two times.

Watchmen – Dir. Zack Snyder
I agree with the sentiments of Patton Oswalt: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/11/patton-oswalt-says-people-complaining-about-the-watchmen-adaptation-should-stfu/ (tried to find the original post, looks like it’s disappeared…)

No comments: